I had the pleasure of working with The Brewery VFX once again to create VFX for Coldplay’s latest single, “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall”.
I helped create the opening transition and the paint explosion effects you see at the end of the video.
For the paint explosions, I began by developing a particle system in Cinema 4D but due to time constraints I opted to create essentially a paint bomb which would be comped with particles created in After Effects by compositor, Gus Martinez.
I built a system that could be tested in a proxy environment and then Gus could tell me where he wanted the bombs to be placed. Using XPresso I built a rig to allow for control over the amount of explosion, the shape of bomb and how much it was effected by gravity.
The simulation reacted with the surfaces of the camera matched plate and provided another texture and a level of detail that we couldn’t achieve with Particular alone.
- Director: Mat Whitecross
- Producer: Hannah Clark
- Production Company: Pulse Films
- DP: Richard Stewart
- Graffiti Artists: Paris, Gwen Liby, Mat Moran, Russell Maurice, Dan Sparkes
- Editor: Nick Allix @ The Whitehouse
- VFX Company: Brewery VFX
- VFX: Gus Martinez, Marc Knapton, Nick Dunn, Andy Needham
- Production Manager: Natalie Bayle
- Colorist: James Tillett @ MPC
- Commissioner: James Hackett